Saturday, August 26, 2017

Book Review: "Class Mom" by Laurie Gelman

Jen Dixon is on her second go-round as class mother. After finishing her "wild" phase in the 1990s, where (probably) two musicians fathered her two daughters, she returned home to raise them in her Kansas hometown with help from her parents.

She was class mom during that time for seven years in a row, and while working to make ends meet, she met Ron, who would become her husband, and the father of her young son, Max. (Or as Jen puts it, "I met the man who would become Baby Daddy #3 and Husband #1, Ron Dixon. By the way, I still have had only one husband.")

With Max in kindergarten, Jen agrees to serve as his class mom as a favor to her best friend Nina, who is president of the PTA. But she's determined to do things her way this time, and call things as she sees them. No kind, gentle, sweet communication from Jen—she's the kind of person who goes through life saying and doing what she wants, and if you can't take a joke, that's your problem, not hers.

Beyond the occasional racial slur (she didn't mean it) or the request for bribes for prime parent-teacher conference time slots, Jen wants her fellow parents (most of whom are significantly younger than she is) to understand that she doesn't take her responsibilities or herself too seriously. But some parents apparently get agitated with emails like:

"September 27th (aka curriculum night) is fast upon us. It's my favorite night of the year, because it answers burning questions such as, 'Who has the hottest husband?' and 'Who spent a little too much money at the ice cream truck this summer?' Plus, I want everyone to think that Miss Ward's class is the place where people PAR-TAY!"

Jen had thought that being class mom would allow her to coast through the school year, but there's a lot more to it than assuaging the fears of the mother whose child has a significant nut allergy, or dealing with the jealousy of those who wanted her job. Not only can't she figure out the sexier-than-she-should be teacher, who refuses to let the children celebrate "Hallmark holidays," but she is in the middle of a harmless flirtation with her high school crush, who is the dad of one of Max's classmates, and she has to endure the requests of a rich-girl mom and her wannabe best friend.

And if that's not all, Jen is in the middle of training for a mud run (something she never would have imagined herself saying, let alone doing), trying to help both of her daughters negotiate romantic relationships, and is coaxed into trying to figure out what the deal is with the one mother who no one has ever seen. Why did she agree to doing this again, anyway?

I'll admit, I'm always a little dubious when I hear about books which are supposed to be "hysterically funny." My sense of humor tends to hew more to the sarcastic than the slapstick, and quite often I find myself chuckling when so many other people said they were laughing out loud. But I really enjoyed Class Mom. It was funny, and it was a fast, fun read.

I tend to be one of those people who has trouble remembering to make sure my filter is working before I speak, so Jen really appealed to me as a character. Sure, there were times where I thought maybe she was a little bit much, and it was a wonder anyone in her life wanted to talk to her, but I'm a fan of the tell-it-like-it-is type of people. I don't have kids so I don't know if the things she said and did would actually fly in a real school, but that's the thing about fiction—it isn't reality, so you can't get hung up on what might really happen.

The book doesn't break new literary ground, but it doesn't try to. Laurie Gelman did a great job hooking me from the start and really getting me invested in what was going on, even if I had a feeling about most of what would happen. Sometimes it's great to have a book that's just designed to make you chuckle (at the very least) and wonder if you'd say the things Jen did if you had the chance. If that sounds like the book for you, pick up Class Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment