Saturday, January 18, 2014

Fade in on a, well...


I was a huge fan of NBC's Smash in its first season. It was a show I had eagerly anticipated after first seeing the trailer, and once I started watching it, I loved the music from the show-within-a-show, and thought that many of the performances were great (despite that creepy, annoying Ellis). But when the show changed hands in its second season, the show (in my opinion) lost its focus, and quickly lost my interest.

But harkening back to that first season, one of my favorite songs was Let Me Be Your Star, which was performed in the trailer. A duet between Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty, the two actresses vying for the role of Marilyn Monroe in the fictional musical Bombshell, the song hits on many feelings which should be familiar to anyone who has ever hoped to land a part in a production of any kind.

While on a surf of random videos on YouTube earlier today, I stumbled upon this version of Let Me Be Your Star, performed by Tony Award nominees Jeremy Jordan (who appeared in Smash's second season) and Jonathan Groff. It's a little campy (especially when the two don Marilyn wigs), but both are in pretty fine voice, and I thought it was too good not to share.



And for old time's sake, here's the original duet between McPhee and Hilty. Still gives me chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment