Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A loss that inspires...

About two weeks ago, I wrote Zach Sobiech, a 17-year-old who, when diagnosed with a rare form of terminal bone cancer, decided to embrace life's possibilities instead of giving into his mortality. He recorded a song, Clouds, which became a viral hit. A number of celebrities then lip synced to in his honor, and the proceeds from his music went to the Children's Cancer Research Fund set up in his name.

Sadly, Zach lost his battle with cancer yesterday. I never met him but I was tremendously saddened when I learned of his death, especially on a day when faced with the tragic losses in Oklahoma. But Zach's courage also is tremendously inspiring. I know so many people who have battled cancer and other diseases and never given up, and I am inspired by their bravery, even if they ultimately lost their fight.

Soul Pancake prepared a video tribute to Zach, which includes his song and some interviews. It's very moving and beautifully done.

RIP, Zach. To his family and friends, I say thank you for sharing Zach's courage and creativity with us. We are the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment