Friday, December 28, 2012

Cool cover song of the week...

Here's a little trip down memory lane, breaking away from my fondness for cover versions of 80s and 90s songs.

I've always been a huge Michael McDonald fan, both when he was with The Doobie Brothers and in his solo career (although if I never again hear On My Own, his duet with Patti LaBelle, it will be too soon). But there's probably no more quintessential McDonald/Doobie Brothers song than What a Fool Believes, which appeared on their 1978 album Minute by Minute, hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in April 1979, and won both Song of the Year and Record of the Year Grammy Awards in 1980.

While the original version of this song is timeless, I thought the cover version recorded in 2008 by Italian a cappella group Neri Per Caso, featuring vocals by Mario Biondi, was really interesting, particularly for the contrast of Biondi's gravelly voice versus McDonald's more soulful one.

Here is Neri Per Caso and Mario Biondi's take on the song:



And for nostalgia's sake, here's the original:



Check out my previous Cool Cover Songs of the Week:

Borderline by The Counting Crows

How Deep Is Your Love by The Bird and The Bee

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Jake Owen

I Don't Want to Talk About It by The Indigo Girls

Only You by Joshua Radin

Pure Imagination by Maroon 5

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by Blake Stratton

No comments:

Post a Comment