Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cool cover song of the week...

Many of you may know that my favorite movie of all time is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. (The original, not the Johnny Depp travesty of a remake.)

While I remembered enjoying Willy Wonka quite a bit as a young child, once I saw the movie about 50 times during the 10-day period I had the chicken pox while at summer camp, I was utterly hooked. I still know the movie by heart, and it's been awesome finding so many other people for whom the movie holds such a soft spot. (And I know of one friend for whom the movie is a nightmare, so sorry for mentioning it again...)

For this week's Cool Cover Song, I thought I'd shake myself out of my 80s music rut and pick a cover of a song from my favorite movie.

Maroon 5 recorded a version of Pure Imagination in 2004 as part of a CD called Mary Had a Little Amp, which featured singers and groups performing versions of songs from Disney and other children's-oriented movies. Their version of the song was used again in 2009 as part of a compilation CD called Change is Now: Renewing America's Promise, which celebrated President Obama's first inauguration.

Gene Wilder's version of the song in the movie is lyrical and magical; Maroon 5's version is a little darker and languid. But it's still a song from Willy Wonka, so I can't complain!

Take a listen and let me know what you think.



Check out my previous Cool Cover Songs of the Week:

Borderline by The Counting Crows

How Deep Is Your Love by The Bird and The Bee

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland, Little Big Town, and Jake Owen

I Don't Want to Talk About It by The Indigo Girls

Only You by Joshua Radin

No comments:

Post a Comment