Tuesday, January 25, 2011

2011 Oscar Nominations: How'd I Do?



This morning, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced the nominees for this year's Oscars. Last night, I shared my predictions, and while I only matched the Academy perfectly in the Best Actor category, I did account for all of the places where I was incorrect in my analysis of what could happen. (I guess that means that there really weren't any surprises this morning...)

Here are this year's nominees:

Best Picture
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Analysis:
I was 9/10 here, picking The Town over Winter's Bone. Both films deserved a nomination; it saddens me, however, that Ben Affleck's film wasn't recognized.

Best Actor
Javier Bardem, Biutiful
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours

Analysis:
I was 5/5 here. Of course, I would have loved to have heard Ryan Gosling or Robert Duvall's name called this morning, but what can you do?

Best Actress
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Analysis:
I was 4/5 here, as I idealistically thought Julianne Moore might snag a nod alongside her costar, Annette Bening, but Michelle Williams' nomination was very deserving. (Of course, it brings to light even more that Ryan Gosling didn't get nominated. They were two halves of a whole in Blue Valentine.)

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Analysis:
I went 4/5 here, although I did predict the possibility that Garfield might get snubbed, and I did mention John Hawkes as a possible nominee. Sad about Garfield, but he'll have the last laugh as Spider-Man, no?


Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

Analysis: Here I went 4/5 as well. I'll admit, I thought Mila Kunis was a lock for a nomination, especially after Golden Globe and SAG nods, but the Academy is a fickle group, and Jacki Weaver was a critical darling.


Best Director
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, True Grit
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
David O. Russell, The Fighter

Analysis:
I was 4/5 here, but this category made me mad. AGAIN Christoper Nolan was snubbed by the Academy after receiving a Directors' Guild nomination, but at least this time his film was nominated for Best Picture! So irritated about this snub.


And there you have it...the Oscars are February 27, and hopefully the road to that night won't be as predictable as it was last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment